background

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Therapy

Why do I run? It began as a way to lose weight after the last baby. I chose running because it challenged me in a way that other exercise didn't. Then in the fall of 2012, I ran my first 1/2 marathon. It was horrible and exhilirating. My body (and mind) wasn't prepared for the race. I decided to train about 4 weeks earlier, and prior to that I don't think I had ever ran more than 7 miles!

Here's proof that I lived through that first one!

I could barely walk for about 5 days after. I took about a month break and then did a color run with friends and it helped me to realize that running could actually be fun!

This was also the same year that I went back to work full time, so running also became therapy and 'me' time. My grandmother and my aunt passed away within a month of one another in December 2012 and January 2013 and I remember sobbing as I ran. That may sound terrible, but it's what my heart, mind, body, and soul needed. The physical exhaustion and time alone allowed me to process what I was going through.

In April 2013, the hubs did a 5k with me and he slowly but surely started to catch the bug.

In the fall of 2013, I ran my first full and the hubs ran the last several miles with me.

In so many ways, I feel like running is so much like life. It's almost never easy; it's extremely rewarding; it's challenging and sometimes fun; it's ever changing; sometimes you need a break from it; if you treat it well it'll do the same for you; there's so much it can teach you.

I have now completed 18 half marathons (two more coming this year), 2 full marathons (1 more this year), ran thousands of miles, made many friends, cried many tears, lauged, and realized how much my body and mind are capable of.

No comments:

Post a Comment