background

Friday, April 28, 2017

Reassessing Goals

Happy Friday!! Is it just me or did this week drag on ridiculously long?! It probably has something to do with being sick but praise the Lord, I finally feel a little more alive today! Last night was the first night that I skipped out on the Nyquil. Ha, but then I was wide awake from 2:30-4:00 thinking about my grocery shopping list. Why do I do that to myself? I even tried listening to a bit of meditations. It helped and I slept until my alarm at 4:50. But hey, at least it's the weekend!! And I even got a quick 3 miler in with the hubs before work = a good day!


I am running the SLO half marathon this weekend. I ran it back in 4/2014 with a time of 1:55. Something clicked for me about a year and a half later when I ran my PR half @ a 1:40. I originally went into this knowing that spring marathons are tougher for me just because I have to train during the winter, which is typically a time in which I get injured, but I didn't this year! Interestingly enough, when looking at the year I PR'd, I only ran 3 races the entire year, and I didn't run one from Feb until Oct of that year, so I wonder if there is something about giving my body a bit of rest...?


All of that to say, I went into this race thinking that a 1:45 was definitely doable, possibly even faster. However, I came down with a pretty nasty sinus infection on Monday and while I feel much better today, I am definitely not 100%, so how do I adjust my goals?

1. Get my tummy under control. I do this by eating clean all week, cut down on gluten & no added sugars, so far so good :)  ⇃
2. I want to really take in my surroundings and be grateful for the opportunity to run in such a beautiful city and with awesome peeps.
3. The first 5 miles of the race are fairly boring so I want to go out a bit faster than usual, so sub 8 for the first 3-5 miles.
4. Miles 6-8 will be through downtown so I think it'll be easier to go a little quicker through this area. My time goal will be a sub 7:50 through here.
5. Miles 9-11.5 are through a neighborhood, so I may take the chance to slow down here with a time goal of 8:15.
6. Miles 11.5-13.1 are back downtown and mostly downhill, so I plan to take full advantage of my surroundings with a 7:45 average.

I guess my adjustments come in based on how I'm feeling on Sunday. I like to chunk my races into 3 mile segments and then that last mile is a bonus ;). And if I need to, I'll take it a mile at a time.

Have you ever had to readjust your goals for a race? Why?
Weekend plans?
What is the best race/run you've ever had? 

No comments:

Post a Comment