background

Sunday, January 8, 2017

Comfort Zone

Winter is a tough running season for me. It's almost always dark when I run as it is but then you add cold to that and it is so hard to drag myself out of bed some mornings. There was one day last week that I made the hubs get up and meet our running partner while I stayed in bed. It probably doesn't help that my knee/hip/IT band is still being silly. I don't have a race planned until the fall. So, this has sort of become my forced recoup time from the November marathon. Also, this has been my fourth January that I have been injured so I truly think my body is telling me to back off and do different stuff. So my goal is to run 20-25 easy-ish miles a week until the spring and to pick back up with strength, HIIT workouts, and lots of yoga and stretching. This way I'm not giving up my running base and I'm also building strength. I'm also watching my sugar/processed carb intake.

So, comfort zone. Running with people is so intimidating. I cancelled from running with people a few times before finally conceding because I wanted to get faster and the way to get faster is to run with faster people. For the last 6 months or so I've been driving about 20 minutes to meet up with a few running friends in a much hillier part of town a couple of times a week. I managed to take 11 min off my marathon time and I'm working towards taking off another 13 min for a fall marathon this year. I talked two girlfriends into joining me this week and one cancelled. And I totally get it. Hopefully I’ll be able to convince her to join and it's good to be humbled because sometimes I am still intimidated to run with my normal group. Sometimes it's vital to push yourself out of your comfort zone.

No comments:

Post a Comment