background

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Race Update

Last week was a full running week! I was at about 45 miles, which my body seems to really like. I didn't taper at all this week before my half so that I could use it as a training run. I managed a 142:43 official time and I came in 7th out of 888 for my age group! I was pretty pumped about that. 


The good, the bad, and the ugly. We drove down to Long Beach the day before and had dinner with a friend and checked out Signal Hill. We could even see downtown LA, it was beautiful! 
We called it for an early night and headed to bed around 9pm. Then a mass of little kids decided to play tag in the courtyard outside our room at midnight. 2 phone calls to the front desk and it stopped. I woke up before my alarm at 5am and headed to the lobby to check out the shuttle situation and get coffee. We caught the shuttle by 6am and were near the start line by 6:15, so it gave us time to walk around and use the porta potties a couple of times. 


The gun went off at 7:30 and it was about 68 degrees with 45% humidity. I was a little worried about the heat and decided to go for positive splits rather than negative ones because it was only going to get hotter. 


My stomach and my foot felt fantastic! I stopped once for the restroom and walked through the last 3 water stations. I wish I would have ran with my Camelbak because all I could think about was water. 



Overall, I enjoyed the race and I'm glad I kept my eyes on people around me to pace me. And this guy PR'd at 1:43!!!


And now I get ready for the marathon. I have an 8 miler after work in the heat today and a 20 miler this Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment